Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Advance Review of New Girl 101: Pilot

   I was very fortunate to be able to watch an advance copy of the pilot for New Girl. I like Zooey Deschanel, and I heard good reviews about it, so I've been looking forward to it.
  It's about a woman (her name is Jess) who, after a bad breakup, moves in with three male roommates. The three men have to learn to live with Jess' various quirks and eccentricities; such as a bizarre habit of singing to herself, and sobbing uncontrollably while repeatedly watching Dirty Dancing. Eventually, all four grow close, especially after saving Jess from a date that blew her off.
  I don't quite know what to make of it. The reviews heralded it as "quirky", but Jess was just annoying. I wanted to say "get over it!" The roommates weren't likable, either. The worst of the bunch was named Schmidt. He was obnoxious, unfunny, and took his shirt off at a moment's notice. It's not much of a pick, but the one that irritated me least was Coach. He didn't have much of a part, though. I hope the recasting of Coach won't affect the character. The other one, Nick, was okay; but the whole ex-wife thing was ill-conceived at best.
  That being said, it was funny in parts. Some of the cutaways were funny, and when they were at a bar trying to help Jess pick up a date, I laughed pretty hard. Miss Deschanel is very well cast, even if the character is poorly written. And everyone had decent chemistry.
   Overall, I was generally unimpressed. The potential is there, though, and the cast was strong; despite the weak material. I'll watch for a while, but I really don't see it lasting past Christmas. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment