Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Glee Review 301: The Purple Piano Project

  I don't like Glee as a rule of thumb. The first season, while at least watchable, was preachy and the music was mediocre at best. Jane Lynch was the highlight as tough-as-nails cheerleading coach Sue Sylvester, however. The second season was a sharp decline in quality. The writing was extremely shaky, big name guest stars were brought in just for the publicity, and the music was bad.
  This premiere, however, was actually pretty decent. The writing was still preachy, but it was at a tolerable level. My least favorite character last season was Will. He was hypocritical, shrill, and a general pain in the ass. Maybe it's the new relationship with Emma Pillsbury, but I don't really hate him as much as I did before. I don't remember Emma divorcing her husband, the dentist, though.
   The plotline about Sue Sylvester's campaign for a congressional seat has potential, and I hope she wins. Somehow, I don't think she'll win, because she'd have to leave the show. The other political plotline about the senior class president was uninteresting. Kurt will come very close to winning, but he won't. It'll drive a wedge between him and Blaine, and ruin the best relationship on the show, thus far.
   Overall, I'm extremely surprised to hear myself say this, but I liked this episode of Glee. There were some decent storylines for a change, and it wasn't intolerably preachy. I will be watching.
   Sincerely, Observer.

No comments:

Post a Comment